OPEN POSITION: SPORT TECHNICAL LEADER (STL)
Position Type – Full Time – 30 hours / week
Application Deadline Date – March 18, 2022
Job Location – To be discussed with the candidate
Employment Type – Employee or contractor
Expected Start Date – April 1st, 2022
Karate Canada is the national sport governing body for the sport of karate in Canada. The Association is seeking the services of a Sport Technical Leader (STL) who will be responsible for implementing the strategic objectives of Karate Canada and lead the day to day operations of the sport, technical and High-Performance (HP) programs.
Karate Canada is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family status or disability. Karate Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Reporting to Karate Canada’s Executive Director, the STL will be accountable and responsible for the vision, strategic direction, leadership, planning and overall management of the entire sport development pathway and HP program of Karate Canada. The STL will also be Karate Canada’s spokesperson in relation to KC’s sport, technical and HP matters.
Responsible for attracting, recruiting, developing, and retaining the people that will help the organization grow the sport of karate and achieve best-in-class results, the STL will provide inspiration and support to all coaches, athletes, sport partners, employees and engaged volunteers. The STL will also leverage his/her/their status as a thought-leader to continually advance and grow karate in Canada and achieve international podium success.
As the ideal candidate, you are comfortable operating in a smaller, not-for-profit organization where you are responsible for the evolution and future success of the organization and the sport. You understand the dynamics of a membership-based organization and the multiple organizations involved at the local, provincial, national, and international levels and you are a good listener in addition to being an effective communicator. You are well organized and capable of managing multiple projects and tasks with a small group of employees and with volunteers. You have a deep understanding of the Canadian and provincial sport and HP systems including related funding programs.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience and credibility in developing and implementing an integrated sport development and high-performance plan and program and is a senior technical leader with relevant international experience. He/she understands the importance of athletes’ safety & wellbeing and has proven ability to promote and support it. Your energy and enthusiasm are infectious. People enjoy being around you because you are friendly, trustworthy, confident, empathetic, and approachable. You possess a unique blend of strong leadership skills, sport savvy, creativity, superior relationship building skills, a commitment to EDIA and a genuine passion for sport in Canada.
Candidates must hold a Bachelor level degree in a relevant field or demonstrate relevant work experience in the sport sector pertinent to the STL role. Verbal proficiency in both of Canada’s official languages is a strong asset.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The key accountabilities of the position may include, but are not limited to the following:
To uphold Karate Canada’s Mission Statement:
“We lead and partner to create an environment and system conducive to success at all levels.”
To uphold Karate Canada’s Vision:
Karate Canada’s goal:
“To become a world class and highly efficient nationwide system aimed at promoting the growth, development and excellence of karate in Canada.”
The STL is the KC’ s main leader for all technical, sport and HP related matters, responsible for the day-to-day operations of the sport development and high-performance programs:
- Ensure the effective management of Karate Canada’s sport development and HP program including managing all business related to KC’s national teams
- Assist in, develop or update and implement technical related policies and procedures, in conjunction with the ED and committees, when applicable.
- Liaise with external agencies and the government on funded programs and projects (including submissions of funding applications and reports with OTP).
- Organize and/or direct requirements for KC’s sport or technical related meetings, travel, or conferences.
- Handle all routine correspondence and communication with regards to KC sport development and HP programs and answer general inquiries from the public, Members of registrants concerning Karate Canada’s sport or technical programs.
- Attend other committee meetings or events as / when required by KC.
- Develop and implement HP strategic plans and develop and implement the corresponding approved annual operational plans and budgets
- Review, improve or develop KC’s LTAD, nomination/selection and carding policies and any other sport or technical related policies and procedures.
- Ensure effective hiring, orientation and management of coaches, IST, staff and contractors involved in the sport development and HP programs including managing a performance appraisal system for Karate Canada’s technical staff.
- Initiate and support programs or operations to educate and train coaches, technical staff and volunteers.
- Jointly with the ED and KC’s Treasurer, develop annual budgets to ensure proper financial management related to KC’s sport development programs and national teams.
Members’ technical alignment
- Reponsible for ensuring optimal alignment and implementation with Provincial and Territorial Members on LTAD, sport development and HP plans.
The appointment of the Sport Technical Leader will commence on April 1st, 2022, or shortly after. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately.
To apply for this technical leadership position at Karate Canada, please submit a curriculum vitae along with a cover letter in confidence to Craig Vokey at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm (ET) by March 18, 2022.
Karate Canada wishes to thank candidates for applying and for their interest in Karate Canada. Only selected candidates will be invited for an interview.