OPEN POSITION: FEMALE SUPPORT PERSON FOR PARAKARATE ATHLETES AT THE 2022 SENIOR PAN AMERICAN KARATE CHAMPIONSHIPS & 2022 COMMONWEALTH CHAMPIONSHIPS
Volunteer female support person (SP) for parakarate athletes at the 2022 Senior Pan American Karate Championships and Commonwealth Championships.
Karate Canada (KC)
Support person for parakarate athletes
1.3 NATURE OF THE POSITION
SP – Services required on an event basis (for one or several Senior National Team events). Events are defined as competitions, training camps or any other National Team function or activity. For the 2022 season, KC is looking for a female SP to accompany 2-5 parakarate athletes (exact number tbc) to the 2022 Senior Pan American Championships in Curacao, from May 23-29 and to the Commonwealth Championships in Birmingham, UK from September 9-11. Renewal subject to performance review and KC’s needs with regards to SP.
1.4 IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR
Senior National Para Team Head Coach, or if the latter is absent, the National Lead Coach designated for the targeted event.
Ultimate responsibility: Executive Director
2.0 RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The SP shall be responsible for:
- Assisting parakarate athletes requiring personal care assistance
- Assisting parakarate athletes during travel/with transportation
- Assisting parakarate athletes with their daily routine
- Assisting parakarate athletes with time management
- Assisting parakarate athletes with packing for training/competition
- Ensuring parakarate athletes’ diet and hydration is appropriate
- Ensuring parakarate athletes get the appropriate amount of rest and recovery
- Promoting a positive atmosphere and attitude with the group
- Complying with any and all KC codes of conduct that relate to her activities
- Providing a post-mortem report to KC of the attended event including, but not limited to: details of experience with each parakarate athlete, successes and challenges, lessons learned, suggestions for improvements, etc.
3.0 RECOMMENDED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Valid CPR and First Aid Certification
- Knowledge of Seizure Management Protocols
- Medical background
- Experience working with teen/adult(s) with disabilities
- Experience working with (karate) athletes with disabilities
- Bilingualism – English & French (preferred)
- Holds a valid and current passport
- Comfortable with travel
- Reliable, responsible, autonomous and highly adaptable
- Demonstrated teamwork abilities and strong social skills
- Excellent sense of organization and time management skills
- Fully vaccinated for international travel
SP expenses for travel and accommodation will be covered / funded by KC. Per diems will be allocated as per KC policy for designated events’ timelines. All costs associated with registration and/or accreditation for these events will be fully funded by KC. Medical insurance for international events is also the responsibility of KC. There will be no honorarium/salary attributed to the SP for this position.
5.0 TO APPLY
Applicants must submit their resume and 2 references via email, to Mr. Rodney Hobson, Karate Canada’s Sport Technical Leader, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be confidential.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 26th , 2022
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.